Cannabis has been used by its enthusiasts to help them drift off to sleep. Recent studies even suggest that the endocannabinoid system plays an important role in sleep regulation. Learn how cannabis affects your Zzz’s and if you should indica or sativa for a sleep experience that you are yearning for.
Is using sativa or indica for sleep a realistic goal? Cannabis strains can affect how we sleep, so much that some smokers with insomnia problems regularly use them before they go to bed. People who regularly use indica or sativa for sleep often report drowsiness and they experience faster onset latency. Furthermore, people who use indica weed for sleep report waking up less often during the night, and they strongly claim that it is cannabis that greatly increases their sleep quality.
Does indica or sativa make you sleepy? Many cannabis enthusiasts that are also insomniacs think so. They believe they are great for a natural alternative to sleeping medicine and many are now turning back to cannabis and its uses.
What is Insomnia?
Insomnia is a sleeping disorder wherein people experience troubles about falling asleep and sleeping well through the night. Most of the time, insomnia is not a condition on its own, but it can be a symptom of a more serious disease, like depression or anxiety. According to some reports, about 10 to 30 percent of all adults might be suffering from insomnia at some degree and about 95 percent of people suffering from an insomnia diagnosis take prescription medication to deal with this.
Unfortunately, sleeping medicine can have unwanted and long-lasting side effects. These unwanted side effects can range from prolonged drowsiness even when you are awake to damaging some internal organs. Moreover, these synthetic prescription drugs also carry a risk of dependence. For these reasons, it is no wonder that many are deciding to substitute prescribed medication to using cannabis instead.
The Top 5 Cannabis Strains You Can Use for Insomnia
- Bubba Kush – This indica-dominant hybrid came about as a result of crossbreeding the Kush and the Bubble Gum. While these are not as strong as other Kush strains in terms of THC, this well-balanced strain makes it a perfect option for people who cannot sleep. The Bubba Kush gives a high that is one of relaxation and ease, which can be taken further into a couch-lock if desired. When smoked, it gives out a sweet yet earthy taste that gives out a lemony Kush undertone.
- Blue Mystic – The Blue Mystic is an indica-heavy cannabis strain that has a short flowering period and a decent yield. It has a herbal and fruity taste that can deliver a comfortable body buzz for a quick general relaxation experience. It is a great starting point for insomniacs that are not too experienced in dealing with smoking cannabis. The Blue Mystic is not as overwhelming if you compare them with other strains on this list. It can allow you to enjoy a slower and more comfortable lowering of yourself into a deep sleep.
- Northern Lights – Another indica dominant strain, the Northern Lights is famous for its reputation for the ultimate relaxation. It has many resinous buds that usually have a tinge of purple, as well as a spicy yet still sweet scent. The Northern Light also gives out waves of calm and relaxation, including a gentle euphoric feeling that can make sure to kill all traces of depression and anxiety away. If you are looking for a strong cannabis strain that will protect you against sleepless nights, the Northern Lights can carry you off into a deep slumber and leave you there with a smile on your face. It produces a long-lasting high, which should prevent you from waking up during the night.
- Vanilla Kush – Vanilla Kush is another indica-dominant strain that both tastes great mixed with strong cannabinoid content. The combination of the subtle yet highly enjoyable vanilla flavors has the capability to take you into the depths of a far reaching stone that makes it the perfect choice for people who are looking for losing tension in their body and mind and aiding them in drifting off to sleep.
- CBD Critical Mass – Another strong contender for inducing sleep is their take on Critical Mass. Much like many other strains that are heavy on the CBD content, it works well in tandem with THC to offer a quick route to slumber. This relaxing and potentially couch-locking indica-dominant strain has a citrusy sweet taste and a cannabinoid content that will surely not disappoint people seeking for a sleep-inducing medical cannabis strain.
Which is Better for Sleep: Indica or Sativa?
Okay, you heard about these strains, but this is the question: does indica or sativa make you sleepy? The simple answer is you should go for Indica. Typically, sativa strains are more energizing and heady in effect. Since they are usually bred to be high in THC levels, it is easier to end up getting a little too spacey with sativa-dominant strains that can actually counteract sleepiness.
On the contrary, Indica strains can induce a more profound body-centered stoned effect. Indica also tends to show a wider range of cannabinoids and higher levels of CBD that can partner with THC to induce and maintain a better sleep quality. So, even when you have an extremely powerful strain with high THC, the CBD can take off the edge for you.
In the end, knowing if an indica or sativa for sleep is better depends on many different things, including your personal needs and how certain strains affect you. You can go for what people think is better and try some indica strains, or you can go for trying out all types of strains and judge them for yourself. The best options are using the research as a guide and keep trying out things so that you can pick the best one according to your preferences. Remember to only transact with legitimate cannabis sellers and retailers so you do not have to worry about excellent quality as well as potency.
Here’s a reliable source on where to buy marijuana seeds! Just visit this site!